[Plone-AsiaPacific] Re: [Plone-i18n] Plone 3.1.7 PO files Quick Survey Result

Takeshi Yamamoto tyam at mac.com
Thu Dec 25 02:33:19 UTC 2008

Hi Ofer,

Thanks for your suggestion.  It's shameful that I didn't aware these
pages.
Checking by pro translator could be one of the way to make it done.

But I think "sustainability" is also important.  If there is a sponsor
to pay money due to his own purpose,
it will be no problem.  When English POT file upgraded, he/she might
be willing to support to upgrade
their local PO file.  Once that PO file got filled up, followers might
show up and maintain it.
So, I think asking to professional translators who are not Plone users
is not sustainable.

Another issue is the "quality of translation".  It might be difficult
to translate some Plone jargons without
knowing Plone.  For example, content rules and collections are
difficult concept without using them.
It might be good if mostly same individuals continue to update PO files.
I don't think professional translators have Plone knowledge usually.

One more thing I want to see is "community expansion".  By
participating their PO file creation and update,
I expect several people will meet and collaborate regardless online or
offline.  They could be seeds of
their local community.  Through the PO file initial translation work
and continuous update work, I want
to see the local people gets involved in global community.  I wish to
see some of these people will organize
  WorldPloneDay locally, hold Plone meetings locally, start up Plone
company locally, etc. someday in future.

As you mentioned, the quality of translation is very important.  Plone
is used in many big enterprises already here, too.
We are brushing up quality of translation with various IT
professionals who came to monthly local meetings or on mailinglist.
Many of them are not good at English but very good at IT systems.  So,
both language and systems knowledges
need to be collaborated in depth.

So, I would encourage to have voluntary based translators rather than
one-time professional translators.
Also, looking for "sponsors" who has a good reason to improve the
target PO files might be a good idea.
PO file maintenance continues forever and needs continuous improvement
scheme.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays!
Takeshi Yamamoto