[Plone-AsiaPacific] Re: [Plone-i18n] Plone 3.1.7 PO files Quick Survey Result

Jonathan Lewis jonathan_lewis at mac.com
Thu Dec 25 00:05:45 UTC 2008

Dear Ofer,

I can only speak about the Japanese translation of Plone, but I would
trust our current way of doing things more than sending po files to a
commercial translation service. The most important thing when
translating Plone files is to know what the phrase means in the
context of Plone, which requires the translator to have Plone
installed and to see what happens when a link is clicked etc. I don't
know any translation company that is going to do that. Of course
consistent style and use of terminology are also important, but the
Japanese translation team already has rules for that. And they take a
lot of time to discuss the meaning and best possible translation of
each phrase.

On the other hand, for languages where insufficient translation
coverage is a problem but for which we don't have any volunteer
translators in the Plone community, using a commercial translation
service might bring better results than just giving the po files to a
native speaker of that language who doesn't know Plone.

Jonathan Lewis