[PLIP-Advisories] [Plone development workspace] #10886: plone.app.event - new eventtype for plone
Change notifications for Plone PLIPs on Trac.
plone-plip-advisories at lists.plone.org
Tue Jan 8 18:59:48 UTC 2013
#10886: plone.app.event - new eventtype for plone
Reporter: thet | Owner: thet
Type: PLIP | Status: confirmed
Priority: major | Milestone: 4.4
Component: General | Version: 4.1
Resolution: | Keywords: event, recurring, date
Comment (by davisagli):
PLIP 10886: plone.app.event, new event type for Plone
Framework Team Review by David Glick, 2013-01-08
- Creating a site with the AT profile, then adding a recurring event seems
to work. Checking 'whole day event' hides the time fields. Defaulted to my
current timezone. The recurring event shows up correctly when viewing the
event and in the calendar and event port lets.
- plone.formwidget.datetime needs to do 12-hour (am/pm) input when
appropriate for the current locale. I am working on a pull request to add
this since it doesn't seem fair to ask Europeans to implement it. :)
- (Reported as issue 70) The recurrence widget is confusing. It has a
checkbox labeled 'Does not repeat." Clicking the checkbox changes the text
to "repeats every Daily". This would be clearer if there were 2 radio
buttons labeled 'does not repeat' and 'repeats'
- It's nice that the recurrence widget shows future occurrences, but it
would be easier to confirm they're correct if they were shown as a mini
calendar with days highlighted rather than a list of textual dates. (Not a
- It's mildly annoying that entering an 'until' date in the recurrence
widget doesn't offer the same date picker as elsewhere.
- (Reported as issue 69) I tried making a recurring "New Year's Day"
event. When I opened the recurrence widget and set it to yearly, the date
defaulted to Dec. 31. It should be set to Jan. 1 (which is the date I had
selected in the event form.). Even after I changed it to Jan. 1, the
"Selected dates" shows future occurences of Dec. 31. After saving and re-
editing though, it is correct as Jan. 1.
- (Reported as issue 71) I opened the ical export for my New Year's Day
event in iCal, where it shows up as a 2-day event on Jan 1 and 2.
- It would be nice if selecting a start date would force the end date to
be after the start date, and selecting an end date would force the start
date to be before the end date. This is validated on form submission so
not a serious issue; just would be a usability improvement.
- (Reported as issue 72) On the US west coast my timezone is not being
detected correctly. I get this warning on startup: "WARNING plone.event
The timezone PST is not a valid timezone from the Olson database or pytz.
Falling back to UTC."
- collective.elephantvocabulary is used to make sure that timezones stored
on events can still be selected if the admin removes that timezone from
the portal's list of available timezones. Is this still necessary given
the changes in z3c.form 2.9.0 re missing terms?
- It looks like the code has some support for per-member timezones, but I
don't see this on the member preferences page. Is this feature incomplete?
- Values are stored as Zope DateTimes for the Archetypes type and Python
datetimes for the Dexterity type. Stored as UTC with a separate timezone
field and converted to the right zone when accessed. Excellent.
- Is there a compelling reason to have plane.event in addition to
plane.app.event? Should the former just be merged into the latter?
- I'm not exactly sure why plone.formwidget.datetime was created instead
of fixing the existing widgets, but it has good test coverage so I'll take
- Includes sphinx documentation -- yay! The code is also very well
internally documented (docstrings/comments) and seems well-tested, though
I still need to check exact coverage.
Things I still need to review:
- performance implications of DateRecurringIndex
- check items from Liz's and Craig's earlier reviews
- check migration path
- run tests and check coverage
Integration steps needed when the merge happens:
- Move DateTime monkey patch to DateTime or CMFPlone
- Make Plone depend on plone.app.event and hide its profiles.
- Add upgrade step to convert old events.
- Link documentation into developer manual (including note that it applies
to Plone 4.3 and above).
- Remove the Calendar control panel. (Maybe the new Event Settings control
panel should be called Calendar for consistency, since it has similar
- Figure out what to do with the old event implementation
This isn't perfect yet, but it is really really good. I think the
remaining issues are minor and can be addressed during integration. I
recommend this PLIP for inclusion in Plone 4.4.
Ticket URL: <http://dev.plone.org/ticket/10886#comment:52>
Plone development workspace <https://dev.plone.org/>
Plone Enterprise Content Management System
More information about the PLIP-Advisories