Intranet Solution for Knowledge Management

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Tue Jan 22 16:18:45 UTC 2008

With TextIndexNG3 you get a very good index on that kind of content and
if you make the documents available as objects in Zope, TextIndexNG3 can
take care of opening up things like .doc and .pdf and index its content.

However, if you make the documents objects by proxy of sorts (i.e.
metadata such as filename in Zope and binary payload on filesystem) I
don't know what happens if the file is updated externally without Zope
being notified to reindex it.

I'd say that what it depends on is how important it is (how up-to-date)
and if you've got an existing way of linking to the documents on the
drive from the intranet.

My company has started looking at writing a custom indexing of our code
and documents in Sphinx (very fast and competant indexing server) but
unfortunately we never had time to complete it.

Peter

--
Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com