7 hour NGO programming competition against Drupal and Joomla

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Wed Apr 9 17:51:17 UTC 2008

We've volenteered to create a team to compete in a competiion at the
upcoming OpenCBIT conference in Sydney. The comp was going to be a head
to head against Joomla and Drupal but I ran into some people at
BarCampSydney and twisted some arms.

The idea is to take 3 NGO's with similar requiremetns (simple ones) and
produce a site in 7 hours. The rules are currently being worked out, so
does anyone have any advice on this? Particularly things I can prevent
getting caught out on by getting rules set now.

One problem I foresee is that 7 hours gives you only time to do the most
basic stuff so the winner is prob going to be the best plugins not based
on extendibility or advanced features like multilingual or workflow.

I was going to propose a design/IA brief system where each team creates
and then gives the clients ahead of time a form to fill in. That can
lead them along a business analysis path towards easy-for-plone but
hard-for-others type functionality.

Advise?

Also any other plone people in sydney at that time, please get in
contact with me.

Dylan. pretaweb.com