Plone as a cyanobacteria tracking site

Horak, Karl KEHORAK at sandia.gov
Fri Apr 4 17:20:07 UTC 2008

Yves,

Re:  "How have people approached such a community issue to ensure the various stakeholders don't step on one another's toes and feel they all contribute to the issue?"

Our international water monitoring and modeling portal deals with multiple stakeholders by means of equal but parallel subfolders.  Some data, presentations, documents, and models need to be closely held among the particular collaborative group.  We handle this with a customized workflow that allows us to either 'publish for partners' or 'publish for public.'

Similarly, our civil society portal is structured with folders for key domains while individual NGO affiliates have separate but equal subfolders.  In either case we rely on metadata and keyword tags to permit relevant material to appear cross-referenced in various smart folders/collections.

You may be interested in some of the work that Jennifer Golbeck (mailto:golbeck at cs.umd.edu) is doing at the University of Maryland on calculating trust and means of removing untrusted data from collections and analyses.

Re:  "At this stage, I'm asking for urls of sites that tackle similar environmental issues that involve a large variety of stakeholders from government department officials though to county/city officials and citizens."

Kindly take a look at https://waterportal.sandia.gov.  Our use case isn't the same as yours because regulations require us to more tightly control users with upload privileges.  On the other hand, our civil society portal at http://wacsi.unm.edu is hosted at a nearby university so as to relax some of the constraints on content owners.  We have disabled Plone's default 'join' option on both portals.  In either case we would have to enable anonymous input via changes in workflow to allow contributions by citizens in the community at large.

We are currently working on an assessment tool that is directed at the nuclear energy community (regulators, advocates, academics, and critics).  We will be using PloneSurvey and its ability to allow anonymous users to take the survey.  That site is still under development, but I can see a few commonalities, especially if the survey asked cyanobacteria-monitoring questions, assessed user background and skill, and collected geo-coordinates for data.

At any rate, you may wish to contact Dr. Howard Passell directly (mailto:hdpasse at sandia.gov) to further discuss your common interests in water-related environmental issues, problems, and solutions.

Best,

Karl Horak