Anyone interested in cosponsoring work on a tighter integration of Plone and Mailman?

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Mon Nov 26 22:38:19 UTC 2007

Rob's point on the ZODB is well taken, but there are some other
considerations for large lists that may make specialization desirable.

A good large list manager does things like SMTP aggregation (pulling
together destination addresses for the same MX and submitting them in a
single transaction); setting VERP headers that work with the SMTP agent;
retrying local addresses; automating bounce handling, scoring, and
subscriber deactivation; maintaining a queue that may need to be
processed over days; etc.

Rob Miller wrote:
> sisi wrote:
>> There have already been discussions about integrating Sympa with
>> Plone, as a replacement for listen (because indeed using the zope/
>> plone stack to handle mailing lists for large lists and heavy traffic
>> is not a good idea). I don't want to go over the reasons why Sympa
>> rather than mailman cause that is covered by Carsten below.
>
> while i agree that there will be a number of advantages to using a more
> developed mailing list solution that listen, i don't actually agree that
> there is something inherently wrong w/ using listen for large lists and
> heavy traffic.  the ZODB is a great store, it scales very well, it's
> nice and indexable.
>
> most Plone objects are AT based, and are very heavy and very slow.  the
> listen objects are very light, so they serialize and deserialize very
> quickly, and i don't really foresee any problems with big lists.  you'll
> definitely want to use MaildropHost to take the mail delivery out of the
> Zope process, however.
>
> listen is certainly not as developed or road-tested as Sympa, nor does
> it have as large a user community, so i can understand if folks choose
> the more tested platform.  but saying that it's inherently a poor choice
> for large lists and heavy traffic is uninformed FUD, IMO.
>
> -r

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC
steve at reidmcmahon.com