Anyone interested in cosponsoring work on a tighter integration of Plone and Mailman?

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Mon Nov 26 20:38:19 UTC 2007

sisi wrote:
> There have already been discussions about integrating Sympa with Plone,
> as a replacement for listen (because indeed using the zope/ plone stack
> to handle mailing lists for large lists and heavy traffic is not a good
> idea). I don't want to go over the reasons why Sympa rather than mailman
> cause that is covered by Carsten below.

while i agree that there will be a number of advantages to using a more
developed mailing list solution that listen, i don't actually agree that there
is something inherently wrong w/ using listen for large lists and heavy
traffic.  the ZODB is a great store, it scales very well, it's nice and indexable.

most Plone objects are AT based, and are very heavy and very slow.  the listen
objects are very light, so they serialize and deserialize very quickly, and i
don't really foresee any problems with big lists.  you'll definitely want to
use MaildropHost to take the mail delivery out of the Zope process, however.

listen is certainly not as developed or road-tested as Sympa, nor does it have
as large a user community, so i can understand if folks choose the more tested
platform.  but saying that it's inherently a poor choice for large lists and
heavy traffic is uninformed FUD, IMO.

-r