[Plone-NGOs] CalendarX and Plone Collective

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Jan 26 10:19:56 UTC 2007

Alexander Limi wrote:

> I am not working on any of the calendar-based projects, to take my opinion
> with a grain of salt:

Ditto for me.

> - It seems like the major value of CalendarX is that it has explored a lot
> of the common use cases and templates needed
>
> - It seems like P4A calendar has a better infrastructure
>
> These things are just from reading the various lists, though — so it's
> definitely an uninformed opinion.

My opinion was informed a while ago but isn't quite up to date: I once
needed a calendaring solution. CalendarX did not feel very solid to me
at that time from the point of view of extending it and building on it.
I haven't used P4A calendar. I did look at CalCore, CalZope and CalCMF,
a stack by the Nuxeo guys which is fairly modern and quite powerful. I
think this probably holds (held?) the most promise (from what I've seen,
and I haven't seen P4A cal in any detail) but it needed a fair degree of
UI love at the time.

I agree with Limi, though - we only need one calendaring solution,
because calendaring is surprisingly complex and we need to get it right
once, not duplicate effort. Things like repeated events, overlapping
events, shared events, all-day events, task integration, export/import
to Outlook (hard, but important to many people) and iCal (easier) or
Mozilla's calendar (which sucked last time I used it) are not trivial.

Martin