[Plone-NGOs] Initial thoughts on a "Plone for Nonprofits" bundle

Shaun Hills shaun.hills at nhs.net
Mon Jan 15 11:56:50 UTC 2007

Jon Stahl wrote:

> David Siedband-2 wrote:
>>

>> Perhaps we should also be thinking about integrating with (optional)
>> tools that provide more sophisticated relationship/subscriber
>> management, bounce processing, etc. like listen, or OneNW's
>> salesforce.com plugin.
>>

> Here at ONE/Northwest, we've chosen the path of integrating Plone with a
> high quality (commercial) email newsletter product called WhatCounts
> (www.whatcounts.com).  Not to say that this is right for everyone, but it
> works well for our mid-sized, mid-sophistication clients who want a
> "full-featured" newsletter experience with bounce tracking, clickthrough
> tracking, automatic unsubscribes, HTML + plain-text versions.

We use PHPList. It's not the best product from the point of view of quality
of code (which makes extending/modifying it a bit hard) but it's GPL, easy
to deploy and offers a decent raft of features including bounce tracking and
the like. At the time we evaluated it (6mths ago or so) it was quite a bit
more mature than the Plone-based systems. And as Jon says I'm not sure list
management is Plone's sweet spot anyway.

PHPList keeps stuff fairly transparently in a MySQL database so in theory
ought to be easy to move on from at a later date. Which is probably what
we'll do; one of my projects for the next few months is to build some of the
functionality we like in PHPList, into a system that we can actually
meaningfully maintain and extend. I'm sort of looking sideways at Django for
this. If anyone wants to help, they're welcome :-)

- Shaun