[Plone-NGOs] New member introduction - Sam Knox

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Mon Jan 15 03:30:41 UTC 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Andrew,
>
>> Thanks for your thoughts on this.  It's actually something I
>> struggled a lot with when we were initially getting started, so I
>> think all of us at ONE/Northwest and the broader team of LearnPloners
>> would value from the discussion and input.
>>
>> I laid out my thoughts on the subject at the following (it's 6 months
>> old at this point, but still reflects the concerns):
>> http://learnplone.org/about/why-here/
>>
>> For additional context, it's probably valuable to also read the
>> general goals of the site:
>> http://learnplone.org/about/about-default/
>
> I think those are legitimate points, and I certainly am not trying to
> criticise the way you went about it.
>
> However, perhaps Plone.org and the docs section has grown since then and
> is now ready for you?
>
> In particular, I'm thinking about the work JoAnna started at:
>
> http://plone.org/documentation/manual/end-user-manual
>
> I think this would benefit hugely from being fleshed out with more
> textual content, inline screencasts (you can upload files into a ref
> manual) and whatever else. It's something we can structure into
> arbitrary sections and pages, and it'd be a single resource. If we then
> can also get some semi-regular commitment to *update it* as new Plone
> versions come out, then suddenly we have something that's rather
> impressive in the documentation arena.
>
> Maybe one of your team would like to liaise with JoAnna and the rest of
> the plone-docs list and identify what's movable and doable? I'm not
> saying it's the only way forward, but it seems an obvious one to me
> (granted, I haven't read that much of the learnplone materials so I may
> be missing some subtleties).

Martin (et al.)

It is definitely our intention to bring the learnplone materials "closer to
the core" of the Plone documentation effort (if that's what the
Documentation Team wants).

At the time we started, there was no "official" Plone documentation section
clearly targeted at end-users, nor could the docs support inlined
screencasts, etc. etc.

Those things are clearly changing for the better, and we rejoice. :-)

We will definitely keep in touch with what the Docs Team is doing, and will
figure out when and how to most effectively inject LearnPlone.org content
back into the mainstream.

best,
jon
-----
Jon Stahl
ONE/Northwest
(not really much of a contributor to learnplone)