Third-party products story (Re: [Plone-NGOs] Re: Initial thoughts on a ...)

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Fri Jan 12 06:44:50 UTC 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:

> George Lee wrote:
>> George Lee <georgeleejr at ...> writes:
>>
>>> Say I'm developing a product. I have some ideas for how I want to make
>>> the code
>>> robust and re-usable. Is there a forum where I could say, "Hey! I'm
>>> thinking of
>>> writing this. This is how I want to make it robust. What do folks
>>> think?"
>>

> I do want to set up a "product writer helpline" mailing list of some
> sort for you to be able to go ask specific questions.

Martin,

I can't remember whether you and I have talked about this topic before, but
I think this would be an easy-to-execute and tremendously effective way to
promote high quality add-on product development.  And better yet, if people
got in the habit of pitching ideas to the list BEFORE starting development,
it might be that there would be fewer redundant products created.

So, a hearty +1 from me.  :-)

I think it could be as simple as

 --creating a list on at lists.plone.org called "product-developers"
 -- recruiting a few experienced hands to join up as advisers (i'm sure we
have more than a few ideas between us)
 -- putting an appropriate blurb on plone.org/support and in
plone.org/products
 -- a few email list announcements (plone-users, plone-developers)
 -- maybe putting something in the #plone IRC topic for a while

I would happily volunteer to get the logistics to happen if you'd join me in
bending ears.

best,
jon