[Plone-NGOs] Re: Initial thoughts on a

George Lee georgeleejr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 04:00:26 UTC 2007

Nate Aune <natea at ...> writes:

> > The newsletter product I made for
> > myself lets me do some powerful work with Zope3 views to make my newsletters
> > from some filesystem-based templates, but is hard to customize TTW. (When
> > Zope3-style view templates can be customized through the web, as is being
> > worked on in plone.app.layout I believe, this will help some.)
>
> Have you released this newsletter product to the public? I think there
> would be many others interested in a more robust newsletter product,
> especially if it has been built using Zope3 views.

Let me focus in on one area I asked about in my long follow-up reply.

Say I'm developing a product. I have some ideas for how I want to make the code
robust and re-usable. Is there a forum where I could say, "Hey! I'm thinking of
writing this. This is how I want to make it robust. What do folks think?"

Because when I think about it, I've only seen this once over e-mail in the way
I'm thinking about, and even here more intense than what I'm thinking:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.user/62812

The way the framework team asks about things; the way that companies (like Nate
and Rocky's) collaborate; the way sprints get organized -- that's some serious
infrastructure. What mechanisms are in place to get loose feedback about little
add-on products that might be released back to the community, rather than just
plopping things into plone.org/products or the collective without any discussion
beforehand? Should I just be writing plone-users with a little blurb as I'm
working on something new?

Peace,
George