Plone Costs for Non-Profits (Was Re: [Plone-NGOs] Initial thoughts ona "Plone for Nonprofits" bundle)

Ben Rudder b.rudder at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jan 9 19:43:16 UTC 2007

Martin, George thanks for your remarks

> George said:
> A question about case studies in general -- are there plans to make
> case studies
> availables that non-profits could look at, to understand better the
> tradeoffs
> and costs involved? Are the case studies at plone.net meant to do
> this, or are
> they meant more to feature the positive ways Plone could be used?

When I posted a couple of months ago, Jon Stahl suggested I put
together a case study. I'm sure he'll pick your question up re
Plone.net.

I just had a look at the case studies area on plone.net, and there
only seem to be two -- perhaps I did something stupid -- and these
are just a couple of sentences. If I'm right about this, one wonders
whether that area in its current state is doing the Plone reputation
any good until a few more are put together.

I'm guessing, but I remember from all the stuff I've done in the
commercial world that clients were always reluctant to give
permission for case studies, and when they occasionally did agree,
the studies were completely sanitised: "We were brilliant, our
clients are brilliant and everything on our ground-breaking (but
secret) project went without a hitch". You know the sort of thing.

I wonder if a better idea would be to try and recruit the non-tech
and semi-tech project managers and administrators, prospective and
current, into a more honest and client-anonymised discussion about
running projects in Plone. (ie sufficiently vague about clients that
project managers can't get busted)

This is related to Martin's point on my failure through technical
ignorance of absolution from contribution to the community :-)

Non or semi-technical people (I have perl and shell experience for
appserver log analysis, but no python or public-access development
experience, for instance) maybe lumped together as "end-users", but
from my angle, I reckon this group needs to be divided into at least
four different levels/types/stages of needs --
1. Project sponsors and decision-makers
2. project managers (business case, service design, functional specs,
work programme)
2. site administrators (both membership and content),
3. and a range of other end-users, from high-level reviewers and
moderators, right down to members/visitors with minimal permissions

Project sponsors would probably be fairly happy with the listings of
companies and organisations using Plone, ("as used by NASA and Oxfam"
was good enough for me, for example) , but maybe they would like a
good idea about cost ratios between set-up, hosting, development and
administration.
The main user-base are possibly a job for each organisation depending
on their eventual service design. We're about to put together some
audio-video walk-throughs for example.

But project managers and administrators are possibly *the* critical
element in software selection and project success and they need to be
a primary focus IMHO

So, what about a prominent link through from Plone.org home page to
an area for Project Managers and Administrators (prospective and
current).

We could announce that this list (?) is looking for project managers/
administrators to build up more experience, and make a commitment to
contributors that we specifically don't want to know the names of
their clients.

Then we could improve FAQs etc for this group, and help Jon's good work

Any thoughts? I feel I'm talking myself into trouble :-)

Ben