Plone Costs for Non-Profits (Was Re: [Plone-NGOs] Initial thoughts ona "Plone for Nonprofits" bundle)

George Lee georgeleejr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 02:47:12 UTC 2007

> From: Jon Stahl <jon at ...>
>
> > -----Original Message (from: George Lee)-----
>
> > I'd like to ask a question of the Plone community which I've
> > gotten some hints of. For a small non-profit, budget
> > $100,000-$200,000, is Plone really appropriate or
> > sustainable? We're not talking Oxfam (I'm assuming) or the
> > government here.
>
> George-
>
> I've had this conversation with Limi (and others), and my belief (and
> experience) lead me to the following conclusions:
>
> -- Plone is definitely a strong contender for "mid-tier" CMS projects --
> as the experiences of Enfold, Plone Solutions, and others shows.  (Paul
> Everitt has defined these as $50,000 - $500,000 projects.)

> -- However, that marketing tends to obscure another truth.  Plone is
> also really good for smaller projects.   Here at ONE/Northwest, we've
> delivered over 80 projects in the $2000-$40,000 range.

Thanks Jon, that's immensely helpful information.

For the much lower end (say, $2000-$5000), what are the typical systems and
costs for ongoing support?

Do you have examples of sites in the different ranges, or descriptions of what
different prices might get in a project? Are you able to describe the
distribution of how many projects are at the very low end ($2000-$5000), up
through the $40,000 range?

Peace,
George