[Plone-NGOs] Initial thoughts on a "Plone for Nonprofits" bundle

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Mon Jan 8 14:11:07 UTC 2007

Duncan Booth wrote:
> "Kai Harris" <kai.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I second Derec's suggestion of CMFContentPanels.  I found it to be
>> much easier to use 'out of the box' than CompositePack.  ContentPanels
>> needs its UI refined some and it would be very helpful to have some
>> additional Panel templates.  But you don't need to go to the ZMI and
>> once you figure out the quirky UI, it's pretty powerful.
>
> So far as I know, CMFContentPanels doesn't use Archetypes references so
> that's a big point against it.
>
> I know there are issues with CompositePack (not least that it uses AT
> references in inappropriate ways), but I think it would be better to work
> on resolving those and improving its UI.

I heard some things about needing to click around in the ZMI for
compositepack. I don't see that in a site we're building now. There's a
design tab and you can click around in your plone interface. Even
drag/drop shuffling around of viewlets is working. It *might* be a very
recent branch.

https://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/CompositePack/branches/1.1

There's also genericsetup support in that branch, allowing you to define
layouts in genericsetup configs instead of in python code.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                       r.van.rees @ zestsoftware.nl
http://vanrees.org/weblog/                  http://zestsoftware.nl/