[Plone-NGOs] Initial thoughts on a "Plone for Nonprofits" bundle

Kai Harris kai.harris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 01:09:43 UTC 2007

I second Derec's suggestion of CMFContentPanels.  I found it to be
much easier to use 'out of the box' than CompositePack.  ContentPanels
needs its UI refined some and it would be very helpful to have some
additional Panel templates.  But you don't need to go to the ZMI and
once you figure out the quirky UI, it's pretty powerful.

I'm currently developing a Plone site to replace our current website.
Our intranet site content and website content will be in the same
plone instance.  Users login to see intranet site content.  The most
useful products I've found are:
CMFContentPanels
EasyBlog - I chose this on a recommendation, didn't look much at Quills
PlonePoPoll
SimplePortlets
PloneFormGen - really cool custom form generation and I've only
scratched the surface of this products capabilities
AnalyticsForPlone - Must have for all sites.  Track your usage stats
in an *incredibly* useful manner.

LDAP and Active Directory integration is one area where I think Plone
could use real help.  It's possible now but a pain to get set up and
groups don't work without patching (at least in 2.5).  Having this
integration as 'out of the box' as possible would make it much easier
for nonprofits to develop one Plone site that supports both website
content and intranet content.

Anyhow, that's my 2 pennies.

Kai

Kai Harris