Plone - Community Plumbing - or Just Content Managment !

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Mon Dec 10 01:06:33 UTC 2007

Peter Hollands wrote:
> Is Plone going to develop into a Community Plumbing Platform ? Will it have h
> as standard the features that Non-Profits nead to build a constituency ?

What is your definition of "the standard features?"

In my opinion, Plone is already a community plumbing platform.

It lets users register, login, create content, comment on other content,
etc.

Does that mean it has every feature you might need to build an online
community?  Of course not!  And especially not out of the box.  Plone
(like Drupal, Joomla and most other open-source CMSes) is a "lean core"
with lots of add-on modules.  Which add-on modules exist are solely a
function of what the community needs and wants... and, most critically,
is willing and able to pay for!

When I think about building an online constituency, I think that
constituent relationship management is at the heart of that.  Plone
doesn't do that, and I don't think it should try.  But Plone does
integrate with powerful, inexpensive CRM platforms such as
Salesforce.com.  That's a smart approach that avoids reinventing the wheel.

Plone always has room to improve. But just because Plone.org doesn't say
"Community Plumbing" on the homepage doesn't mean it isn't an extremely
suitable tool for groups of people to work together to create and share
content and build community.  And over the next couple of years, we're
going to continue building on this amazing platform to make it even
better at those tasks.

A couple of obvious places I think it would be great to invest some
money in:

-- The commenting system (building on some great initial work by Tom
Lazar, Kai Diefenbach and Christian Scholz)
-- The user profile system (to make it easier to extend user profiles
with simple custom fields)

$0.02,
jon