Plone - Community Plumbing - or Just Content Managment !

Peter Hollands peter.hollands at dale.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 18:16:08 UTC 2007

Is Plone going to develop into a Community Plumbing Platform ? Will it have h
as standard the features that Non-Profits nead to build a constituency ?

Or should it just remain focussed on doing one job well ? Content Management.

In just a few years, the Non Profit world has adopted Content Management.
(BTW  was  heartened to only discover this week ...
http://www.ekduniya.net/our-partner
That one site - sponsored by OneWorld South Asia-  is hosting at least 53
Plone based websites for Non Profits. )

Content Management was all the rage 4 years ago. But now,  for most Non
Profits it's a case of  "been there, done that". The future buzz is
elsewhere. The focus is moving from publishing, through to collaboration,
through to enabling learning journeys.

So what do people think ? Is Plone the right platform on which to build
communities ? Because I've heard that we should really just focus on what
Plone does well, and that's content management. :-)

[Take Cover !]

Peter H.