[NGO] ldap vs generic plone authentication

Paul Roeland paul.roeland at milieudefensie.nl
Tue Sep 26 13:19:09 UTC 2006

Peter Hollands wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 September 2006 11:35, Paul Roeland wrote:
>> Contact me off-list for boring technical info...
>
> Sisi's scenario is actually quite a common usage case.
>
> So I, and probably others, would really appreciate if someone could
> provide a link to the technical info and best practice on how to to this.
>
> Many of us want to run our plone service on an external hosted service,
> but integrate with our internal LDAP  service.
>
>  There is a the issue of using Plone for the registration and membership
> management, and then integration of the new members back into the LDAP
> service inside of the intranet.

Peter,

unfortunately we have no experience in that, since we run our external
services on a co-located machine. That means we have full control, and
thus can easily run our own LDAP replica on it.
Prices for co-location and also renting a dedicated server have fallen
dramatically here in the Netherlands, a co-location setup can be had for
about 20 Euro a month including traffic, putting it well within our
financial reach, it's actually cheaper than most hosted services.

But if you don't want to run your own server, the best option seems to
be to send loads of beer and/or chocolate to Sam Stainsby, his project
seems very promising :-)

Paul Roeland