[NGO] ldap vs generic plone authentication

sisi sisi at foei.org
Tue Sep 26 11:35:00 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

Paul Roeland wrote:
> sisi wrote:

>> I wanted to tie everything in together, because there are so many
>> overlaps, but I realise now that having an ldap server on our plone
>> server, and one on our network server, is a little overkill.
>>

> Hi Sisi,
>
> having a few extra LDAP replicas is hardly overkill. We run a master
> LDAP server, where the info is entered, and then each machine which
> needs the info, whether it is for mail, Plone, file-sharing/Samba,
> whatever, runs a local replica.
> The network and resource overhead is negligable, setup is very easy.
> Just make sure to run your LDAP over TLS to get encryption support.

The thing is paul, your intranet is in your office, right? I mean your
ldap server and your authentication for your intranet, it's all done
inside the milieudefensie building right? But the insite (our extranet)
is going to be hosted on a remote server, and our ldap database is in
the office... Isn't that just a very different use case scenario, or do
I have the wrong idea about milieudefensie's setup?

> Contact me off-list for boring technical info...

You're supposed to be on holiday? Let me know when you're back.