[NGO] Organisation Diagrams (organograms) on Intranets

Stuart McSkimming Stuart.McSkimming at vso.org.uk
Tue Sep 26 09:13:26 UTC 2006

Hi there,

Recently we've been having some real joy with our Plone intranet - we've got
it up and running, and apart from some frustrations with user lists and
Active Directory/LDAP, have solved most of our problems.

The next feature we're looking at is a product to display organisation
charts. After discussing it yesterday with FRY-IT (a bunch of clued-up Plone
developers who've been writing some really clever stuff for us over the past
couple of months), I started thinking that something like this must already
exist.

I'm thinking of something which automatically works out who works in a
particular position within an organisation, and then allows you to view info
such as what team they are in, who is there line manager, etc. The product
would then allow you to navigate up or down the organisational tree.
Given that we already have a complete list of our staff, their job titles,
departments, etc in Active Directory/LDAP, it would seem natural that we try
and infer the diagram automatically from that information.

Does anyone know of anything similar that already exists? I read Sam
Stainsby's posting yesterday.... but from the sound of it, that's not quite
the same as what I'm talking about.

If no-one else has written it, is it something which the community would
find useful? - if it is, we'll aim to develop it in a generic way, so that
we can release it as open-source.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart McSkimming
IT Development Manager
VSO

tel 020 8780 7672
email stuart.mcskimming at vso.org.uk
VSO is an international development charity that works through
volunteers.
http://www.vso.org.uk
This e-mail and any file/s attached are intended for the addressee only.

If you are not the intended recipient please delete this e-mail.
The views expressed in this e-mail are the authors own and do not
necessarily reflect those of VSO.