[NGO] Re: mailing list integration - folks are working on Sympa + Drupal integration

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Thu Oct 12 15:20:21 UTC 2006

Rocky Burt wrote:
> I didn't realize having SOAP integration for mailing list software was a
> useful feature.  If it truly is (and I'd like to hear more use cases)
> then it shouldn't be hard to expose the listen (the plone mailing list
> thing by Alec M) api via SOAP.

At least some of us who are talking about integration with an external
mailing list are doing so because we believe that Plone may not be ideal
tool for many bulk e-mail features.

Wouldn't it be much better to integrate with an external list server
than to try to reproduce the functionality (including bounce processing,
content filtering, approvals/confirmations, smtp aggregation, smtp
personalization, digesting and queue management) inside Plone? Wouldn't
we rather have those functions loosely coupled?

Jon noted that his organization does mailings for 180,000 users with
1000+ lists. Consider what the bounce processing alone looks like. Does
that really belong in Plone?

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC
steve at reidmcmahon.com