[NGO] Newscloud API (was: mailing list integration - folks are working on Sympa + Drupal integration)

Nate Aune natea at jazkarta.com
Thu Oct 12 14:47:17 UTC 2006

Another web service that we may want to consider interfacing with is
Newscloud. They have an REST API documented here:
http://newscloud.com/learn/apidocs/

Below is a description of this new service:

For nonprofits, this means a new way to have members gather and share news
on
important topics that are mission related - check out the custom group and
custom journal examples:

Today we're announcing the release of the NewsCloud Web Service and APIs as
part of our effort to make NewsCloud into a fully open platform for media
distribution. Our goal is to expand the potential for citizen journalism by
helping developers embrace and extend our work. The NewsCloud web services
will
allow other community developers to easily interact and expand the stories
and
features at NewsCloud.com. We hope the result will be a variety of cool
mashups, customized Web sites with media content and a better NewsCloud.

NewsCloud's Web Services consist of more than 50 interfaces (APIs) for
interacting with our Web site. Nearly everything you can do as a user on the
NewsCloud site can be done via our APIs from your own Web site. If you want
to,
you can even create your own news site - or design your own front page.

We've tried to make it easy for Web developers to make use of our APIs with
simple PHP class. By using our NewsCloud PHP class with your code,
interacting
with data from our site becomes as easy as manipulating any PHP array data.

We've also built a number of examples for which we're sharing the source
code:
The Cloud Report - a custom front page, a mini-text-based version of
NewsCloud
for PDAs, a customized version of your journal page (clippings from all your
news stories), a personal tag cloud, a custom group page featuring Daily
Show
content, example sign in and registration forms, a keyword-based image roll
and
more. These are just a start - but the potential is vast. We'll be improving
and adding to the samples over time with help from our developer community.
We've also integrated AJAX using the Prototype Javascript Framework into our
registration and voting example to show developers an easy way to take
advantage of the interactive elements we use on NewsCloud. We'll be building
more AJAX examples over time.

All of our APIs are available via REST as described in our documentation, so
you don't have to use PHP to get in on the fun.

Nate Aune - natea at jazkarta.com
http://www.jazkarta.com
Plone solutions, consulting and development