Plone NGO Mailing List Christian Aid go for Microsoft over Open Source

michael nt milne michael.milne at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 14:39:36 UTC 2006

"My preference is to integrate email lists."

Yes, but you're getting into Customer Relationship Managment and Plone is
not a CRM tool and it's best if it never becomes or tries to be one. Most
CRM tools allow Outlook integration and it's best if that is kept there I
feel.

I'm not sure if MailBoxer is a solid solution from some comments on the Zope
list. Doesn't it use the ZODB for storing all the email etc?

On 11/16/06, sisi <sisi at foei.org> wrote:

> Andy McKay wrote:
> > Unfortunately offline is here to stay for quite a long time, and for
> > organisations that go into places with poor internet connectivity a
> > common problem that isn't going to get solved soon. Gosh I have problems
> > getting online in the north of england :)
>
> +1
> Poor internet connectivity is not just to do with the technology
> available but largely to do with a country's communications
> infrastructure and political situation.
>
> Many of us on this list either work in or with organisations in
> countries where water or electricity aren't taken for granted, never
> mind internet connectivity.
>
> My preference is to integrate email lists. People tend to want to use
> the tools they are used to, and email is so institutional now. It's the
> way most people communicate electronically, it allows easy access when
> on a dial up connection and most people have an email address for
> communicating with friends, family, and other work contacts. And it's
> cross platform. So why would we make them access yet another tool in
> order to collaborate? At any rate, in my organisation people are very
> resistant to moving away from email as a way of collaboration and
> communication. Very.
>
> But, as Peter pointed out "Sole use of email usually  means a dramatic
> loss institutional memory" Yup! Couldn't agree more.
>
> So if we can integrate email lists into plone, I think we'd have a good
> collaboration tool. I'm personally pinning my hopes on Listen. I know
> this does not work so well with collaborating on documents but in my
> experience people want to stick with word documents, track changes and
> email. That's what they want because it's also what they know, and it's
> easy.
>
> If there is any chance of designing an online/ offline solution that
> makes sense for people I'm very interested in supporting it. After all,
> people flocked to skype and instant messaging. These tools can be
> intrusive and entail people being constantly online, but they were easy
> enough for people to adopt without a steep learning curve.
>
> For the time being, did I mention Listen yet? :-)
>
> Cheers,
> sisi
>
> --
> # sisi nutt # extranet coordinator
> # Friends of the Earth International
> # PO Box 19199 # 1000 GD Amsterdam # The Netherlands
> # Tel 31 20 6221369  # Fax 31 20 6392181  # http://www.foei.org
> # email sisi at foei.org # skype foei_sisi

michael