Plone NGO Mailing List Christian Aid go for Microsoft over Open Source

Peter Hollands peter.hollands at dale.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 18:42:26 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 16:11, Matt Lee wrote:
> Although it may not be elegant, email is still a very good way to
> allow you to work offline, and as they say, if it isn't broken, don't
> fix it

But I think the point is that email is  broken - in the sense that it is a
poor tool from the point of view of collaboration within an  enterprise.

For example, Data stored on personal drives - with no attempt to show version
history (wiki) or enterprise searchable taking into account authorisation.
Sole use of email usually  means a dramatic loss institutional memory - which
for most NGOs with high attrition rates (short term volunteers, 2 year
assignments)  is an issue to address.

The right answer to the online / offline architecture is to invest resources
into getting everyone online and to design our systems for the online world.

Offline is a decaying market.

:-)

Peter