[NGO] what NGOs need in a website [checklist]

Aaron VanDerlip aaron at netcorps.org
Wed May 31 19:47:55 UTC 2006

Nate Aune wrote:

> PloneMall? CMFPayPalHelper. Spanky is working on a python/Plone
> wrapper for PayPal's API

This is shameless self promotion but there is also
http://plone.org/products/simplecartitem.  We developed this
specifically for groups that have a few dozen items to sell, and don't
need a fully functional store.

> And the hosting costs were considerably cheaper and less complicated
> than setting up and hosting a Plone solution.  We need these things to
> change if we want to make Plone an attractive option for NGOs.
There are $30 a month options for hosting Plone, but it is true that
they are no sub $10/month or cheaper hosts.  I know very well that many
small NGOs are very tight with funds.  My take is that if they can't see
the value of the  Plone toolset beyond the hosting costs and value their
website at $120 a year, then it is going to be a very difficult project
to negotiate in terms of budget.   That being said, I have been a strong
advocate of more options in the shared Plone hosting space, and it would
help adoption by having more companies to choose from.  Right now the
perception is that there are very few Plone hosting options short of
dedicated servers, and some clients have been uneasy about this,
especially in face of the thousands of LAMP hosting providers.

Aaron

--
Aaron VanDerlip
Programmer