[NGO] VSO's Plone implementation

Stuart McSkimming Stuart.McSkimming at vso.org.uk
Tue Jun 27 11:54:17 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I've been keenly reading this newsgroup for the past month since
Ploneability, and it's been interesting to see what's going on. I'm a bit
disappointed that there haven't been more postings from NGO's such as the
ones at Ploneability. But hopefully with with time.....

I just thought I would give people an update on VSO's Plone implementation
and also put in a request for help:

We've been working on our Intranet for the past 6 months now and are getting
quite close to finishing - similar to Oxfam we've been discovering that
there is a steep learning curve and have struggled to gain knowledge fast
enough to keep the project on track. Mostly we have tried to stick to the
basics - keeping the standard Plone features, with a new skin, and a few
customised features. Even so, after 4 months of work only now are we getting
into the last 10-20% of work. We also have had some hiccups with Content
migration from our existing intranet (home-grown sql & asp), but have are
looking like we are close now.

And now the request for help.... I'm guessing the last 10-20% is going to
take us far more time than we anticipate and it would be really great if we
had 2 or 3 people who could help us for a few odd days over the next 5
weeks. Is there anyone out there who can put me in touch with some good
consultants in the London area who have immediate availability. Ideally we'd
like them to be able to come in so that they can work with our developers
and bash through the issues as they crop up over the next few weeks.
Obivously we're prepared to pay close to market rates (although we are an
NGO without a huge budget!).

If anyone is interested in hearing more specifics on what we're up to,
please feel free to get in contact.

Thanks,
Stuart

Stuart McSkimming
IT Development Manager
VSO

tel 020 8780 7672
email stuart.mcskimming at vso.org.uk

VSO is an international development charity that works through
volunteers.
http://www.vso.org.uk
This e-mail and any file/s attached are intended for the addressee only.

If you are not the intended recipient please delete this e-mail.
The views expressed in this e-mail are the authors own and do not
necessarily reflect those of VSO.