[NGO] Getting started (was: NGO Digest, Vol 2, Issue )

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Sat Jun 24 17:26:10 UTC 2006

Josh Milane wrote:

> I am a true beginner with CMS tools, and I really hesitate to send this
> email because it is so obviously beginner. However, I am kind of treading
> water and don't like to if I don't have to.
> I was a developer for a few years (PowerBuilder, SQL...) and am getting
> back into it after doing some general IT consulting for a few years. I've
> been reading a lot about Open Source tools but reading about them isn't
> what will get me what I need. I need to start working with them. These
> listservs are too advanced, but the introductory 'marketing' pieces out
> there are not useful in the way I would like.
> If anyone has any ideas as to what a good practical step would be, I would
> love to hear it. Plone interests me a lot, as does one other tool in
> particular... and I am thinking about trying to implement them but need to
> get my hands on them and train myself.

Josh,

I would start by installing Plone on your desktop machine using either the
Windows or Mac installers from Plone.org.  You'll immediately have a real
live install of Plone to play with.

Second, I'd browse through the documentation section of Plone.org to get a
feel for what's there... Plone has a wealth of documentation, but where to
start will really depend on what you're trying to accomplish.  If, like most
folks, you want to start by messing with the look-and-feel of Plone, I might
start with David Convent's excellent tutorial on DIYPloneStyle at
http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/creating-custom-style/introduction.

There is a TON of information that is very easy to search at
plone.org/documentation -- it should be your first stop when questions
arise. I'd also recommend purchasing one or more of the published books on
Plone -- although they are not quite as up-to-date as online documentation,
they are still very helpful guides to the general concepts.  Andy McKay's
"Definitive Guide to Plone" is quite good, as is PloneLive (vailable as
online subscription at http://www.plonelive.com).

If you run into specific barriers, the plone-users list is a great place to
ask -- I think you'll find that there is no such thing as a "too basic"
question.  The Plone Community prides itself (justifiably, IMHO) on being
accomodating to beginners. :-)

best,
jon