[NGO] [checklist] + a new topic - Membership Base

Jonah Crawford jbernier at divmod.com
Fri Jun 23 12:24:10 UTC 2006

Hi our company provides Plone programming service to a number of NGOs. We've had a lot of success using Virtual Private Servers as this allows us to easily configure a new server for a new client or project in a matter of hours - not days. Presently we're using VPSLink's Ubuntu setup. I noticed they have a number of inexpensive VPS offerings which would more than suit the budget minded NGO. While their data center is in the states I work out of Europe and get excellent speed even as far as Poland and Romania. If you're going to go the VPS route, however, I caution you to stay well clear of Unixshell.com - we've had really *bad* experiences with them which endangered our relationship with an important client. They are not a reliable hosting solution to bet even a tiny part of your company on - fortunately we bounced back pretty quickly.

Another topic I've been kicking around quite a bit with regards to Plone and NGOs is membership management - we've been using TeamSpace to help one of our clients involve/engage their member base more in their activities. TeamSpace is a really nifty product in that it allows many projects with the same users to be kept distinct from an accounting/oversight perspective. I think it's especially useful for medium to larger organizations and those whose activities require collaboration with outside organizations.

Last winter we built a referral program for an NGO which is helping them raise more funding from their membership. I'm sure it has come up on this list before that foundations are expecting the organizations they fund to raise more money from their membership base each year. Plone can really show its colors (not just blue and white :) in this department, and from a marketing standpoint this has proved to be a very effective talking point for us.

I would be interesed in hearing what others have done with NGOs regarding membership management, collaboration toolsets and payment systems. Also it would be great to keep business matters - except for the most abstract off list - I think it detracts from the tenor of the conversation here.

Cordially,

Jonah Crawford