[NGO] Re: what NGOs need in a website [checklist]

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Sat Jun 17 00:14:44 UTC 2006

> From: ngo-bounces at lists.plone.org
> [mailto:ngo-bounces at lists.plone.org] On Behalf Of Alexander Limi

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 04:24:16 -0700, IT Office WCSC
> <itoffice at wcsc.info> wrote:
>
> > I think the steep costs of the Plone hosting solutions is
> due to the
> > huge resource demands made by the zope/plone stack on the server in
> > terms of mainly memory and processing power to a lesser
> extent. Making
> > Plone less resource hungry - as light as a breeze - will
> help in reducing the costs.
>
> It is also impossible because of the way Zope and Plone
> works. It's not simple PHP script files doing single queries
> against a relational DB.
> Plone isn't constructed to be an ASP solution, and probably
> never will be either.

This is true, but I do note that the cost of virtual managed server
hosting (where you get root on a virtual machine and a fixed amount of
RAM/processor cycles) is starting to drop through the floor.  These
kinds of environments are very appropriate for running low-end Plone
sites, provided the provider has some amount of Apache/Zope setup savvy.

I think it would be very worthwhile for someone with solid packaging
skills to look into whether it is feasible to package up Zope + Plone
for installation via cPanel, Fantastico, Plesk, etc -- these are control
panel tools that most virtual server providers are now shipping to make
it easier for newbies to manage their linux servers.

I think this is the wave of the future, but the Plone community may need
to goose the market a little bit to get there.

best,
jon
Jon Stahl, Program Manager
ONE/Northwest - Online Networking for the Environment
jon at onenw.org  http://www.onenw.org
206.286.1235x15  skype: jonstahl  y!: jondstahl

Want a piece of my mind? Check out my blog at:
http://blogs.onenw.org/jon