[NGO] Fwd: [NOSI discussion] money for OSS

sisi sisi at foei.org
Tue Jun 6 16:02:04 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Paul (Everitt) mentioned this to me last week, and it has been in the
back of my mind since then, but has not formed into anything concrete.

We would definitely like to submit a proposal as Friends of the Earth
International, for some plone development. But, we'd like the proposal
to contribute towards a product that would benefit the whole plone
community, not just our organisation.

At the moment, I'm most interested in getting some money to contribute
to the further development of Listen, the mailing list software.

One of my primary interests in Listen is that it will enable our members
to combine using a mailing list with using a forum for internal
communications. So far this is the best online offline communication
method I have seen. One thing that I think has not been mentioned on
this list (though I believe Jon touched on it - or at least touched on
the fact that the NGO sector is widely diverse, and has diverse needs)
is the accessibility of groups in the south to technology, fast internet
connections, etc. Since Plone has the reputation of being heavy and
slow, I think this is something we should address as a community (how
accessible is a Plone site on a 56k modem? etc). This is another reason
I believe orgs are turning to Drupal and other lamp solutions.

The "digital divide" was touched upon at the ploneability event.

Anyway, I'll write more about this later, I just wanted to say that we
would like to collaborate on a funding proposal, to get some plone
development work done. Listen is just one option, obviously :-)

Cheers,
sisi