[NGO] what NGOs need in a website [checklist]

Andrew Burkhalter andrewb at onenw.org
Thu Jun 1 08:37:18 UTC 2006

Nate, this is a fantastic starting point as it's a direct connection
to the places where NGOs are feeling the most intense pains.  Given
your summary of the corresponding tools it's clear that we've got
some selection to meet these needs.  Notice that everything comes
down to content and relationships, which I must say is extremely
relevant to the business sector in similar ways.

Exploring the Plone4NGOs distribution/service seems interesting.  I
know there's a precedence for this type of thing in the education
sector and EduPlone, but I really haven't looked much further to know
that it exists.

I think the reason this is interesting conceptually to me is that
sure it builds momentum, but more importantly could lend credibility/
provide momentum to more mature/production-proven products.  With 400
+ products in the Plone Software Center and significantly more in the
collective and other repositories, the latter is, I believe, going to
be one of the next emerging challenges in the Plone community.

Note that almost each category has a few options and at least one of
which is probably in an unfinished state.  Diversity is good, but
fragmentation should be avoided.

In my 2 years working with Plone, I've never really seen the
community talk about "endorsing" winners to ensure that a product
receives the eyeballs it needs for proper testing, documentation, and
feature-requests.  I know I'd rather contribute to those efforts than
having to evaluate and track 5+ decent, but not fantastic blogging
options.

So, my question/thought/comment is this: could the effort put into an
NGOPlone distribution/service catalyze this type of contribution to
the Plone community?  Do others agree there is a gap here?

Andrew