[NGO] Re: NGO Digest, Vol 3, Issue 4

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Mon Jul 3 01:33:09 UTC 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 3:29 PM, David Geilhufe wrote:

> One note about "service" integration... CiviCRM will provide a stable
> service-- probably SOAP-- when there is a demand for it... right now
> Plone would be the first demand for it. If folks started to work on
> Plone/CiviCRM integration, they can expect the stable service to be a
> change the CiviCRM team would make to accommodate the integration. But
> first someone needs to work on it.

So, it seems like something of a chicken-and-egg problem.  :-)

I'm no developer, but I can't understand how anyone in the Plone
community could start working on an integration module to an API that
doesn't exist and isn't documented.

IMHO, CiviCRM needs to meet non-PHP platforms (such as Plone) halfway
by building and documenting a platform-agnostic service-based API
(SOAP, REST, whatever).

Did the Drupal/Joomla -> CiviCRM integration work begin before there
was a documented PHP API they could plan against?  If so, what were
their first steps?    Maybe we can learn from that experience.

best,
jon

Jon Stahl, Program Manager
ONE/Northwest - Online Networking for the Environment
jon at onenw.org
skype: jonstahl  y!: jondstahl
206.286.1235x15

http://www.onenw.org