[NGO] Re: Plone for Indian NGO's

IT Dept, WCSC itoffice at wcsc.info
Thu Aug 17 16:06:39 UTC 2006

We are also a non-profit based in India hosting our plone website
vethathiri.org

I would like to share some of my thoughts..

> *Contracting foreign companies--as a newly registered trust, we can't
> contract a business outside of India for 3 years. So a European based host
> like Nidelvin is definitely out.

I am not sure I understand your problem here. Buying webhosting is one of
the easiest things to do. We used the credit card of one of our members,
bought up server space and used it. As simple as that. No problems.

More over hosting in europe, usa is bound to be cheaper/reliable due to the
cost/availability of server/bandwidth/electricity.

And if your needs are varied/specific, you are better of with a virtual
server hosting than with shared hosting, where you can run latest DB,
zope/plone ..etc.

If you need any further details/recommendations of providers, contact me off
the list.

*Is anyone working on a simple expense reporting and tracking application?
> For example, a way to submit for review and approval, travel expenses, with
> e-mail notification and capture of the information in a database. This would
> definitely help our organization!

There is an accounting software avsap, which has been made to work on plone
at http://avsap.org.in. An attempt is ongoing to migrate it to django
(zope3; better hurry). Though it might be an overkill for your requirements,
you can probably utilise it in some way or other.

--
Mohan

Information Technology Department.,
World Community Service Centre

May the whole World enjoy Peace, Prosperity and Happiness.