[Gsoc-students] Should I apply again as a student?

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Mon Mar 31 19:21:50 UTC 2008

Hi there,

luckily the student application deadline has been pushed back by a week,
which gives me time to consider applying as a student again.

As a precondition for my application I would like to be put last on the
list of applications sent to Google. This is to ensure that I wouldn't
take the place of any new student, who brings fresh ideas into our
community.

The topic I'd be interested to work on, is integration of a new
templating language as a core part of Plone. The work would consist of
both making it easy to use other templating languages in general and
focusing on replacing a sensible subset of the actual templates in use
with a new templating language. The proposal would be open to what exact
template language that would be, as I would consider all of Genshi,
z3c.pt, spitfire and possibly others as possible targets. The choice for
the templating language to be used is obviously based on performance
characteristics, similarity to TAL to not invalidate to much existing
knowledge and robustness of the language in question amongst others.

Should I get some positive feedback about the idea in general and me
applying as a student in particular, I'd write up a more thorough proposal.

Hanno