[Gsoc-students] Google. Summer of Code proposal question

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Mar 25 01:38:23 UTC 2007

miken087 at berkeley.edu wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> First of all thanks for responding to my message. Second of all I'm not
> sure what you meant when you say.
>
>> This looks good, though you should also describe something about how you
>> intend to make sure you complete your work, and how much time you think
>> you'll have to work on it.
>
> When you say I should describe something about how I intend to make sure I
> complete my work, do you mean I provide a timeline of when I will complete
> different parts of the proposal? Also in regard to how much time I have to
> work on it, do you mean the amount of time I can commit to this project?
> If I understand your second question correctly, then I will spend as long
> as I have to in order to finish the project because I am my summer break.

What I mean is, the people who are evaluating proposals don't know you
(I assume). Some people are very good at getting things done, setting
goals for themselves and managing their time. Others are ... not. :)

A fairly common problem with Summer of Code is, it seems, that students
"disappear" i.e. stop responding to emails, without completing what they
set out to complete. We want to make sure that doesn't happen. You
should try to convince us that you have some realistic ideas about what
you can do, the necessary experience or will or plan to make it happen,
and enough time for it to be feasible. A strong proposal is one which
convinces us something will get done, rather than one which promises the
world.

Note that it's okay if you find out that you took on too much or things
are taking longer than they should. We are flexible and will work with
students to make sure they can be productive, but also enjoy themselves.

Martin