[Gsoc-students] Google. Summer of Code proposal question

miken087 at berkeley.edu miken087 at berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 24 02:16:24 UTC 2007

Hi

My name is Michael Ngo and I am currently studying Computer Science at
University of California, Berkeley. Currently I am interested in
contributing to Plone by working on the email handling system. My question
is whether this proposal will affect Plone's core system or will it be
added to Plone as an add on? My abstract for the proposal is attached at
the end of the email.  Lastly any comments on my abstract will be greatly
appreciated.

Michael Ngo

This proposal will improve the current email handling system in Plone by
incorporating an email-blog gateway feature to:
1. allow incoming email messages (in Plone) to be converted to new blog
entries, and
2. allow new blog entries (and comments on blog entries) to generate
outgoing email messages to anyone subscribed to a blog’s watchlist.

The mail-blog gateway would offer richer functionality than an email-only
subscription list, as the user is free to choose to receive notifications
of new entries as: an RSS or Atom feed, or as an email notification.  As
the user is able to add new entries to the blog simply by sending an email
to the mail-blog gateway in Plone, all mailing list entries are
transparently logged in Plone for archival purposes.

The mail-blog gateway feature may initially be implemented as an add-on
product to avoid bloating Plone's core code base. Plone's core framework
team would decide at a later time if the add-on product is valuable enough
to be included as a core feature in a future release of Plone, a discussion
beyond the scope of this proposal.

The mail-blog gateway aims to offer an improved method of getting content
into the system and exporting content out of the system. The gateway will
address Plone improvement proposal (PLIP) 182:

http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/182

and may address parts of PLIP 183 as well.

http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/183