[Gsoc-students] Transformation plip

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:53:22 UTC 2007

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> I'm sure the topic is broad enough to allow for some collaboration on
> the topic, so you might end up doing some real coding ;) I would love to
> have you or Martijn as a mentor :)

I think Martijn and you will make for a good combination.  That won't keep
me from participating though! :)

>> Thierry also has some ideas, and originally he planned to organize a sprint
>> in Marseille in two months or so.  Would be great if we could get together
>> there, and build something *real* cool. :-)
>
>>From my perspective the main focus of doing a SoC project on the topic
> consists to a great deal to gather use-cases from people and look at the
> patterns that the various solutions out there have used to solve their
> use-cases. As a second step based on that analysis / background develop
> a generic pluggable intermediate layer as a basis for all the specific
> transforms we need. As a third step some of the most commonly used
> transforms should be implemented as examples. After the SoC project is
> over or at the end of it, more specific transforms can be written.

I totally agree that the goal of the SoC project should be to create a base
on which we can build the actual transforms.  Getting the interfaces and
implementation right for the base is crucial and will allow us to
migrate/add transforms quickly.

> Based on my experience from last year I think it's not realistic to do a
> SoC project that "fixes our transform story", as this topic is far too
> vague and broad, but we would be better of if we would have a new common
> ground that allows for the flexibility and collaboration we want.
>
> If Thierry would want to organize a sprint on this topic this would be
> awesome and most appreciated :)

Yeah!

Daniel