[Gsoc-students] Transformation plip

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Thu Mar 22 08:17:37 UTC 2007

On 3/22/07, Hanno Schlichting <plone at hannosch.info> wrote:
> >From my perspective the main focus of doing a SoC project on the topic
> consists to a great deal to gather use-cases from people and look at the
> patterns that the various solutions out there have used to solve their
> use-cases. As a second step based on that analysis / background develop
> a generic pluggable intermediate layer as a basis for all the specific
> transforms we need. As a third step some of the most commonly used
> transforms should be implemented as examples. After the SoC project is
> over or at the end of it, more specific transforms can be written.

This is exactly what I was hoping to see. Once the base is there,
it'll be easier for people to chip in and convert old-style to
new-style or innovate on top of this.

> Based on my experience from last year I think it's not realistic to do a
> SoC project that "fixes our transform story", as this topic is far too
> vague and broad, but we would be better of if we would have a new common
> ground that allows for the flexibility and collaboration we want.

A project with clear, achievable goals and a sense of clarity on what
is required is far more likely to be accepted by GSOC.

--
Martijn Pieters