[Gsoc-students] Blogging proposal?

Justizin justizin at siggraph.org
Tue Mar 20 17:38:05 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Tim Hicks <tim at sitefusion.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure who is on this list, but...
>
> I'm wondering about putting together a blogging proposal.  Essentially,
> there are several reasonably well-defined proposals for the Quills blog
> product that seek to move it forward and make it more flexible.  There
> is even a half-baked branch with some of these ideas partially implemented.

Indeed, the roadmap for Quills is much richer than the current
codebase, and we have a great deal of consensus which should help to
move forward..

> The general idea is to move Quills away from defining content types and
> more towards a collection of (largely optional) products that provide
> blog-like capabilities.  My most pressing interest is in getting
> traversal faking working properly so we can have URLs like
> /2006/05/13/entry_id without having to have the associated folder
> hierarchy (and "evil" workflow).

This is a big push of mine as well.  Basically, I think that much like
p4acalendar and other new p4a stuff, we should be using normal content
as blog items.  Then you can turn a folder into a Quills blog, use
RichDocument or what-you-prefer for blog posts, and even toss some
audio / video / etc.. in there and have it all worked out for you.

Like, yanno, what the kids today are calling a "blog".  painless
content management.

yippee!

> There are, however, numerous other ways in which the blogging experience
> could be improved in Plone.  This may touch on the syndication proposals
> (including importing of content via rss/atom), and the commenting proposals.
>
> Would there be any interest/support for a proposal like this?  Would
> there be a willing mentor?

I would damned sure be a willing mentor, and have put in my paperwork.
 Let's get you and Quills some funding!  I have the time and the
drive!

:-D

--
Justin Alan Ryan
Director, Interaction Architecture

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You
lead by going to that place and making a case." -Ken Kesey