[Framework-Team] Which Python versions should Plone 6 support

Alessandro Pisa alessandro.pisa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:20:28 UTC 2021

Hi guys, we have been asked to evaluate this PLIP
https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/3229.

See the poll results in:
- https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/3229#issuecomment-780745327

I assume:
- we do not want to support Python 3.6 which will be unsupported since
Q4 this year
- we want to support Python 3.8
- we want to support Python 3.9
- we do not want to support (for the time being) Python 3.10 which is
scheduled for Q4 this year

Are those assumptions correct?

What about Python 3.7?

I have the feeling that for some people it might be easier if we keep
support for Python3.7, which is supported by all major distributions
since quite some time.

What the framework team has to say about that?
Should we vote about this via email?
Should we organize a meeting?
Well we probably should organize a meeting anyway soon, it is long
due, but I fear it might take a lot of time discussing about this.

Ciao!
--
@ale_pisa - http://ale-rt.github.io - http://alepisa.blogspot.com -
https://it.linkedin.com/in/apisa