[Framework-Team] plone 4 only branches

David Glick (Plone) david.glick at plone.org
Mon Jan 26 05:42:16 UTC 2015

On 1/25/15 9:34 PM, Nathan Van Gheem wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 11:33 PM, David Glick (Plone)
> <david.glick at plone.org <mailto:david.glick at plone.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/25/15 9:24 PM, Nathan Van Gheem wrote:
>
>         Hi All,
>

>         I'd like to merge plone.app.widgets into all of other plone
>         packages for plone 5.
>
>         In doing so, I need to create some plone 4 only branches for
>         plone.app.dexterity and plone.app.contenttypes.
>
>         Any objections?
>

>     I don't really understand the benefit of spending effort to move
>     the code. Is there an important reason I'm forgetting?
>
> plone.app.widgets overrides things in other packages to work so it's a
> bit of indirection. I'd like to cut off plone.app.widgets and whoever
> wants to maintain it for plone 4 can if they care to.

Okay. I agree it would be ideal to avoid those overrides, although it
maybe should be considered lower priority than fixing bugs in Plone 5.

It looks like we already have branches for these packages -- Plone 4.3
is using the 2.0.x branch of plone.app.dexterity and the 1.1.x branch of
plone.app.contenttypes (at least according to sources.cfg in
buildout.coredev).

>         Also, what does everything think about Archetypes and
>         plone.app.widgets. Should that code be merged as well or do we
>         just start ignoring Archetypes in plone 5 a bit?
>
>     I think if we ignore Archetypes in Plone 5, it will significantly
>     discourage users with custom AT content types from upgrading to
>     Plone 5.
>
> Alright, we might need a branch for Archetypes also then :)
Also already exists -- Plone 4.3 uses the 1.9.x branch of
Products.Archetypes.