[Framework-Team] plone 4 only branches

Nathan Van Gheem nathan at vangheem.us
Mon Jan 26 05:34:49 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 11:33 PM, David Glick (Plone) <david.glick at plone.org
> wrote:

> On 1/25/15 9:24 PM, Nathan Van Gheem wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I'd like to merge plone.app.widgets into all of other plone packages for
>> plone 5.
>>
>> In doing so, I need to create some plone 4 only branches for
>> plone.app.dexterity and plone.app.contenttypes.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>

> I don't really understand the benefit of spending effort to move the code.
> Is there an important reason I'm forgetting?

plone.app.widgets overrides things in other packages to work so it's a bit
of indirection. I'd like to cut off plone.app.widgets and whoever wants to
maintain it for plone 4 can if they care to.

>> Also, what does everything think about Archetypes and plone.app.widgets.
>> Should that code be merged as well or do we just start ignoring Archetypes
>> in plone 5 a bit?
>>
>>  I think if we ignore Archetypes in Plone 5, it will significantly
> discourage users with custom AT content types from upgrading to Plone 5.

Alright, we might need a branch for Archetypes also then :)

Nathan Van Gheem
Solutions Architect
Wildcard Corp