[Framework-Team] FWT meeting attendance stats

Johannes Raggam raggam-nl at adm.at
Fri Jun 20 08:34:54 UTC 2014

Sounds like a plan. IIRC we agreed on having plone.api it in core and
allowing core components to use plone.api. Altough plone.api's usage by
core packages should be postponed to 5.1, so we can eventually resolve
bugs and fine tune before the api even more.

My remarks:

On Fri, 2014-06-20 at 10:24 +0200, Giacomo Spettoli wrote:
> I can agree to include plone.api into the core and, as a start, it
> could:
> 1 - be just a dependency of Products.CMFPlone to make it available
> ootb. once it's in , it will become mainstream and it will be much
> more easy.
As long we don't have direct imports in CMFPlone I'd make it a
dependency on "Plone", the Plone distribution package.

> 2 - on a second phase, someone have to select few api's calls and go
> around the core code with sed substituting the calls everywhere. To
> whoever will do this, please keep things consistent. if you decide to
> use a call, then this become the mainstream and it should be used
> everywhere.
That's something for Plone 5.1, IMO.

> 3 - on a medium-long term, I would refactor the api's methods for no
> being wrappers around other core's methods anymore. It's a waste of
> time and plone is already not the fastest guy out there. I would move
> the real code from the original place (where possible) to plone.api
> and then make the original methods just a wrapper of the api's call.
The the "Plone in 2020" open space in Cologne, we identified plone.api
also as an important wrapper for making a switch to another framework
like Pyramid easier sometime.