[Framework-Team] FWT meeting attendance stats

Giacomo Spettoli giacomo.spettoli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 08:28:08 UTC 2014

On 07/04/2014 06:55 PM, Nathan Van Gheem wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Giacomo Spettoli
> <giacomo.spettoli at gmail.com <mailto:giacomo.spettoli at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     While we can all agree that Rok as made a good job so far, I think
>     we have to fully realize what he just said: the main author of the
>     front-end of plone5 is leaving the project! This is even more
>     dangerous since the front-end should have been (and maybe will be)
>     the "shimmering thing" to attract once more new customers to Plone.
>
>     We ended up in this shitty situation since we, as a community,
>     made the big mistake of putting all our energy on just very few
>     people.
>
> How is this avoided though? Do we just not do the work? Rok did
> everything he could to get more people involved--just not much
> interest. Or if there was, that interest wasn't sustained.

This is not a technical problem, the FWT cannot fix it. It's more of a
management matter. But...I wrote the original mail on Friday so I was
polemic pointlessly.

>     This said, I think that all the FWT members that consider them
>     self still active should really try hard to be online this Tuesday
>     to discuss the plan to reach p5. Here some questions that need an
>     answer:
>
>     - What do we do now? How can we organize the work for not being
>     stuck in this situation again?
>
> FWIW, I'll be taking ownership of mockup...

Excellent!

>     - how much man power do we have? Should we continue based on the
>     volunteers' effort only or should we try to involve more the
>     companies that may have the strength to finish this?
>
>     - Should we collect all the info and try to finish mockup? or
>     should we start from scratch basing our effort on the latest best
>     frameworks (Angular, React...xyz)
>
> I'm sorry, but the idea of starting from scratch here seems
> ridiculous. Some of mockup uses React. Mockup isn't forcing the use of
> any particular js tech necessarily.

Me too I think there's no time for starting from scratch obviously. And
it would be a waste of energy/money.
My intent was to put all the options on the table and so I was being
provocative on purpose ;)

> We're not that far off. Ramon and I are organizing a sprint around the
> idea of finishing up mockup integration with plone.

Nice, so the meeting of tomorrow will be a perfect occasion to collect
all the needs and see if somebody else can jump in and help you two.
For example, at the time, I already offered my help for improving the
documentation and make it fit into the current doc base.

>     - should we involve the board in this discussion? (I think yes,
>     definitely!)
>
>     Hope to see all of you guys online thuesday to discuss all this :)
>
> I'll be on.

Perfect, thanks!

cheers,
Giacomo