[Framework-Team] PLIP 20144

Timo Stollenwerk tisto at plone.org
Tue Dec 9 11:10:37 UTC 2014

Am 09.12.2014 um 11:16 schrieb Philip Bauer:
> 1. Tests: I realized that most test do not use the dexterity types at all. It might be that we miss some problems because of that. I changed the tests for plone.app.contentmenu to test both AT and DX (https://github.com/plone/plone.app.contentmenu/pull/8) but the test-setup is a little cumbersome. We need a canonical test-setup to test both frameworks otherwise all packages do it differently and future developers will a good reason to hate us.

Thanks for bringing this up! :)

The initial idea was to move all tests to use Dexterity types or the
p.a.contenttypes fixture (if necessary). I don't think a generic test
fixture that supports both AT and DX is possible.

Tests with tons of if/else statements for DX/AT are a horrible idea in
my optinion. They are a nightmare to maintain, to debug and really hard
to understand.

Therefore, even though it is not perfect, I think we should stick with
the approach to test against Dexterity only. For some packages it might
be necessary to actually test both, but those should be the exception
from the rule. Most packages just need "some" content object and it does
not really matter if it is a DX or AT object.

One problem I see with that approach is that the p.a.contenttypes
fixture, that most packages use, might be a bit too heavy. If
p.a.contenttypes becomes the de-factor test layer we have to make sure
that we keep it lightweight (because it is incredibly hard to change a
test fixture that is used by so many packages later and it is generally
a bad practice to put stuff into the main fixture if they are only
needed for a couple of tests).

Therefore we should have a close look at the p.a.contenttypes and
p.a.event test fixture and make sure they are as lightweight as possible.

I agree that we need to write down some guidelines for tests and that we
have to work on that. Though, my priorities right now are the control
panels, because they are blocking the Plone 5 beta release. If anybody
wants to work on that I'm happy to help though!

Timo