[Framework-Team] PLIP 20144

Philip Bauer bauer at starzel.de
Tue Dec 9 10:16:06 UTC 2014

Sorry, I can't join you beards tonight because I give a Plone Coding Dojo at the python-usergroup :)

I'm absolutely ok with waiting until 5.1 to go fully-folderish if you think it is to risky now. A feature-freeze is also be a really good reason not to add any new features.

Anyway I added information on speed and weight to https://dev.plone.org/ticket/20144. The short version: No problem.

If we don't go there now I'm still much in favor of keeping a optional folderish profile in the package (instead of pointing developers to collective.folderishtypes) because this way I can add a easy upgrade-step that migrates the from the folderish profile types to the default-types in p.a.c. once they are folderish without having to uninstall a package.

The IFolderish-query problem that Jens raised might be a real problem. Although querying for IFolderish is actually wrong, instead you should query for is_folderish which respects INonStructuralFolder. Adding INonStructuralFolder to items depending on filter_content_types and allowed_content_types might be possible. We'd also have to reindex is_folderish on changing these two settings.

UX-Problems 'only' arise when people stop using folders and instead only use documents. Dylan has a point there:
1. You can no longer have Portlets only on the "frontpage" of a folder. Dylan is right in that we need a feature in portlets that allows portlets to be only registered to an item but not it's children.

2. Same goes for sharing: You can only delegate permissions for the objects and its children, not only the object

3. Default-pages: Folderish types that you can add content to cannot be made into default pages. This can for only be overridden by adding types to the setting default_page_types in site_properties.

@Timo: Why do we have three version of p.a.c that we support? As far as I can see we only have one. Do you mean ATContentTypes?

If I may be so bold to annoy you with my take on three more subjects:

1. Tests: I realized that most test do not use the dexterity types at all. It might be that we miss some problems because of that. I changed the tests for plone.app.contentmenu to test both AT and DX (https://github.com/plone/plone.app.contentmenu/pull/8) but the test-setup is a little cumbersome. We need a canonical test-setup to test both frameworks otherwise all packages do it differently and future developers will a good reason to hate us.

2. Did you talk about deprecating AT-types? Editing AT-types is semi-broken in the current coredev (I guess only a js-problems). I am also working on small changes to ATContentTypes that will allow add-ons (PloneFormGen!) that depend on parts of ATContentTypes to work without uninstalling the types from p.a.c by depending on a new profile "base": https://github.com/starzel/Products.ATContentTypes/commit/1c4aff0c57ff8ea2b0001b44d78f08f9083b0a8f

3. https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bobtemplates.plone might become the new canonical tool for creating new eggs and I'd love to see it included in the Plone 5 installers. Would the framework-team have an issue with that?

Have a great meeting!
Philip

--
Starzel.de