[Framework-Team] collective.elephantvocabulary

David Glick (Plone) david.glick at plone.org
Thu Oct 24 20:18:28 UTC 2013

On 10/24/13, 10:18 AM, Rok Garbas wrote:
> with plone.app.event we also added new dependency
> collective.elephantvocabulary. i'm the author of this package and what this
> package does is extends a bit zope.schema's vocabulary. also if there is
> plone.app.registry present it also makes use of that.
>
> now at the time i needed this and when working on plone.app.event project also
> plone.app.event benefit from this functionality and still does.
>
> introducing yet another package makes very little sense in my opinion and
> functionality wise this package could easily fit into plone.app.vocabularies
> package.
>
> would somebody object this move? (to move c.elephantvocabulary code into
> p.a.vocabularies)
>
> also if somebody can comeup with some more descriptive name i'm all ears :)

I think we can avoid adding this functionality altogether.

As I understand it, the package exists to make sure that if a term is
removed from a vocabulary but there is existing data that stores that
term's value, the existing data can still be edited without losing the
stored value. z3c.form has added a different solution to the same
problem, and is the form library we're standardizing on for Plone 5, so
I don't think we should add another solution to plone.app.vocabularies.