[Framework-Team] mockup/widgets/toolbar PLIP nr. 13476

David Glick (Plone) david.glick at plone.org
Thu Oct 24 17:02:36 UTC 2013

On 10/24/13, 9:39 AM, Rok Garbas wrote:
> hey all,
>
> during my last days in brasil i've pushed initial work on getting plip 13476
> into coredev. since plip 13476 is quite big it would make sense to split it up,
> like we already did with other plips.
>

> 1. as first i would like to merge into core all work being done in
>     plone.app.widgets. plip13476-mockup.cfg buildout will continue to depend on
>     plone.app.widgets package to the last day before release changed packages.
>
>      base.py -> only depends on lxml and new package will be created for this
>      utils.py -> CMFPlone # code used by AT and DX depends on getToolByName
>      at.py -> P.Archetypes # AT specific code
>      dx.py -> p.a.z3cform # DX specific code
>
>     also plone.app.widgets will never reach 2.0 version since all code after
>     that will be part of Plone 5.0.

+1. And I guess the actual js and css bundles go in CMFPlone?

>     main tasks on TODO list are (should happen in following cronological order):
>       - get remaining unit/integrational tests done
>       - get remaining robot tests done (we have only one example test)
>       - release plone.app.widgets
>       - remove collective.z3cform.datetimewidget (mostly done)
>       - remove plone.formwidget.datetime
>       - remove plone.formwidget.querystring
>       - remove plone.formwidget.autocomplete
>       - create contenttree widget (already started in mockup) and remove
>         plone.formwidget.contenttree
>       - finish recurrencewidget in mockup and remove plone.formwidget.recurrence
>
>     anyway i'll be working on getting tests done and release plone.app.widgets
>     ASAP. but i would really appreaciate help on other tasks.
>

> 2. once plone.app.widgets work is merged and all tests are passing only then
>     i would move to include plone.app.toolbar work into coredev.
>
>     i think code from plone.app.toolbar should be moved to plone.app.layout, but
>     i'm open for better suggestions.
>
>     biggest change that will happen with this merge is that we will replace all
>     javascript with javascript that we developed in mockup. 95% of this part is
>     already done and once plone.app.widgets are properly merged i don't see any
>     bigger blocker to get plone.app.toolbar merged quickly.
>
>     when releasing plone.app.widgets i'll be also releasing plone.app.toolbar to
>     give ppl a preview what is the progress on this.
>

> i tried to explained everything in much detail as i could remember but please
> ask if something was not explained as it should be. main goal of this "2 step"
> merge is mostly to keep jenkins job happy and green and to not interfere with
> any other plip work.

If we first add the widgets bundle to CMFPlone, then we can work on
converting the widgets in Archetypes and plone.app.z3cform one widget at
a time in smaller pull requests, rather than needing one
mega-PLIP-branch. What do you think?  I know I personally would be
motivated to work on the reference widget/plone.formwidget.contenttree
replacement, because I am starting to look into converting portlets to
z3c.form, and I need it for that.